The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) provided guidance concerning individuals’ continued eligibility for unemployment benefits should they refuse rehire. The state advised that the below reasons are acceptable reasons for refusing suitable work:
Reason for refusal:
- People 65 years or older, and/or people with medical issues, like heart disease, diabetes, cancer, or a weakened immune system, or are at a higher risk for getting very sick from COVID‑19.
- Household member at high risk – People 65 years or older or are at a higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19.
- Diagnosed with COVID – the individual has tested positive for COVID-19 by a source authorized by the State of Texas and is not recovered.
- Family member with COVID – anybody in the household has tested positive for COVID-19 by a source authorized by the State of Texas and is not recovered and 14 days have not yet passed.
- Quarantined – individual is currently in 14-day quarantine due to close contact exposure to COVID-19.
- Child care – Child’s school or daycare closed and no reasonable alternatives are available.
The state will review other situations on a case-by-case basis.
Our office will monitor COVID-19 updates closely and will send out additional announcements as we become aware of any updates. You can also review these updates on our website at https://www.thomas-and-company.com/covid-19/ too.
Please reach out to your representative with any questions.