Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced a one-time grant is available for employees impacted by the MDHHS Gathering and Face Mask Order that took effect on November 18, 2020. This grant program that “puts money in the pockets” of restaurant, gym, entertainment and other hospitality workers who have been impacted by the pandemic driven shutdowns. These onetime grants – up $1,650 are available to eligible recipients who meet all criteria and have provided a complete and accurate application.
Employees who wish to apply for the grant should act quickly as there is a 10-day window to apply, from Jan. 15 to Jan 25, and payments will be issued in March. Applications will be accepted from January 15, 2021 at 9:00 am through January 25, 2021 at 5:00 pm Eastern. The application will be reviewed, and the applicants will receive an email confirming or denying the grant no later than February 26, 2021. These grants are taxable income but will not impact any current unemployment benefits.
Who is eligible for the Employee Assistance Grant?
Employees who were impacted by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Gathering and Face Mask Order of November 18, 2020. Employees in the following industries qualify:
|Restaurants||Hotels, Motels, Bed & Breakfast, Resorts||Bars|
|Food Trucks||Bowling Alleys||Theaters|
|Nightclubs||Golf Courses||Banquet Halls|
What information is needed to apply?
Employees will need to apply and will need to supply some personal information along with information about their employer.
- Personal Information: Legal name, mailing address, social security number and date of hire
- Employer Information: Business name, manager name, phone and email address
They will also be required to provide proof of employment in the form of a paystub showing employment in November (1-18) of 2020 OR you can provide them with a letter on business letterhead signed by their manager, company shareholder or owner stating that their employment was impacted as a direct result of the DHS Gathering and Face Mask Order of November 2020. Employees who were furloughed or had their hours reduced during that time period are eligible. Templates can be found here:
Where can employees apply for the Employee Assistance Grant?
Applications for this grant can only be accepted electronically using the link provided by the state at https://www.mrlaef.org/money.
- Employees will need to create a free Submittable account or sign in with Google or Facebook credentials in order to submit these forms.
- Employees can save a draft of their work if they would like to finish filling out the form at a later date. Remember that applications must be submitted before the deadline of 5:00 p.m., January 25, 2021.
- If anything changes with the information they submitted, please request to edit the submission.
- The form works best on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Internet Explorer is not supported. Please make sure they are using a supported browser, and that the files are valid file types. They can find the acceptable file types under the “Choose File” button on the application.
- The state will follow-up with the employee about their submission by email. Please be sure they whitelist, or allow, notification emails from Submittable and check the email they used to sign up for their Submittable Account regularly.
- Check out the Submitter Resource Center for help videos and articles or to reach out to Submittable’s Customer Support team with any technical questions.