The Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development advises that individuals should apply for benefits when they are totally unemployed, partially unemployed (reduced weekly earnings), or expect to be laid off within the next 13 weeks. All individuals should be aware that claims begin the week of their application and, to avoid benefit loss, they should apply the first week of unemployment.
To apply, individuals must have the following information available:
- A username and password for filing online
- A valid email or mobile number
- A social security number
- A Wisconsin driver license or identification number
- Work history for the last 18 months
- Employers’ business names **
- Employers’ addresses (including zip code) **
- Employers’ phone numbers
- First and last dates of work with each employer
- Reason no longer working with each employer
- An alien registration number, document number and expiration date, if not a US citizen
- Form DD214 (Member 4 copy), if served in the military in the last 18 months
- Form SF-50 or SF-8, if a federal civilian employee
- Name and local number of union hall, if a union member
Steps to apply online:
- Go to my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov
- Accept terms and conditions
- Create a username and password
- Login to access online services
- Complete application
Individuals should file online Sunday 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday 6am to 7pm, and Saturday 9am-2:30pm. Should individuals need help with online services or if they’re unable to go online, they should call (414) 435-7069 during the aforementioned business hours. For more information about unemployment, individuals may also visit the state’s website: dwd.wisconsin.gov/ui. If individuals have a disability and need assistance with this information, please dial 7-1-1 for Wisconsin Relay Service. Please contact the Unemployment Insurance Division at (414) 435-7069 to request information in an alternate format, including translation to another language.
Finally, all employers covered by Wisconsin’s Unemployment Insurance law must prominently display a notice about the availability of unemployment benefits for their associates. If employers do not have a permanent work site, an individual copy must be given to each associate instead. For additional copies of this notice, please call (414) 438-7705 or go online at https://dwd.wi.gov/dwd/publications/ui/notice.htm. Employers should enter their UI Account business name and address in the box (at right).
Our office will monitor COVID-19 updates closely and will send out additional announcements as we become aware of any updates. You can also review these updates on our website at https://www.thomas-and-company.com/covid-19/ too.
Please reach out to your representative with any questions.